Biomimetic Dentistry: Saving Teeth Other Dentists Can’t
Traditional dentistry has come a long way over the past few years. Here at the Gentle Touch dental practice, we are innovators, obsessed with improvement. One of the state-of-the-art treatments which we get really excited about is biomimetic dentistry. Biomimetics techniques mean we can sometimes save teeth other dentists choose to remove with an extraction.
What Is Biomimetic Dentistry?
Biomimetic is a term that means “to imitate (mimic) biology, nature and life”. Scientists and professionals working in healthcare, skincare, haircare, agriculture, manufacturing and construction all draw on biomimetics. Smart biologists, engineers and chemists use biomimetics to design solutions to complex human problems, drawing inspiration from nature and the human body.
In dentistry, biomimetics has enabled the design of materials that mimic the natural structure of a tooth. At the Gentle Touch, we use these materials to restore and repair teeth. Biomimetic dentistry is a tooth-conserving method and it transforms weak, decayed, or diseased teeth into healthy, strong teeth. It also ensures we can seal-off the tooth/teeth from further potential bacterial invasion. We use life-like materials which means we can restore your teeth as closely as possible to their original state.
This type of treatment focuses on saving as much of your natural tooth/teeth as possible. It can cut down on the need for more invasive procedures like root canals or tooth extractions.
Benefits of a biomimetic approach
Biomimetic dentistry is part of our ethos of delivering gentle preventive dentistry. That is, we focus on the long-term health of your teeth. The benefits which a biomimetic approach brings to our patients include:
- More affordable: We offer biomimetic dentistry with our patients’ needs specifically in mind. We’ve designed it to be better in every way when compared to other restorative treatments, including price. It will be more affordable in the long run than almost any traditional restorative treatment.
- Restores and prevents future damage: Treatment with biomimetics restores and prevents further potential decay, disease, and breaks in your teeth.
- Conserves your tooth structure: Other restorative methods often require filing down healthy parts of your tooth for an amalgam (metal) filling or a dental crown. This treatment doesn’t.
- Faster performance: Your dentist can usually complete biomimetic treatment in just one visit instead of multiple visits over weeks.
- Life-like results: Biomimetic treatments mimic the elasticity and durability of natural dental enamel and dentin, with life-like results
Biomimetic dentistry is a growing field that has already improved the lives of many patients. When you come to The Gentle Touch, we can show you how it can improve your dental health and smile!
A second opinion to save your tooth!
We are happy to offer second opinions on whether a tooth can be saved. Our biomimetics approach means we are sometimes able to save teeth that other dentists have recommended be removed completely. Even if you are not a member of our practice, we can have an initial chat with you to discuss what options might be available.